Decision of the CPC Central Committee on Deepening the Reform of the Party and State Institutions
- Level of Authority： Group Provisions
- Date issued：02-28-2018
- Effective Date：02-28-2018
- Status： Effective
- Issuing Authority： Central Committee of the Communist Party of China
Decision of the CPC
Central Committee on Deepening the Reform of the Party and State Institutions
(Adopted at the Third Plenary Session of the 19th Central Committee of the Communist Party of China on February 28, 2018)
For the purposes of implementing the decisions and arrangements at the 19th CPC National Congress in relation to deepening institutional reform, the 19th Central Committee deliberated the issue on deepening the reform of the party and state institutions and made the following decision at its Third Plenary Session.
I. Deepening the reform of the party and state institutions is a profound change to boost the modernization of the nation's governance system and governance capability
The functional system of the party and state institutions is an integral part of the socialist system with Chinese characteristics and an important guarantee for the party's governance. In order to better the capability of governance and leadership of the party, extensively trigger the initiative, activism, and creativity of all involved, effectively govern the country and society, and further the development of the cause of the party and the country, the requirements in the development of socialism with Chinese characteristics in the new era must be adapted to, and the reform of the party and state institutions shall be deepened.
The CPC Central Committee has long attached great importance to building and reforming the party and state institutions. After the foundation of New China, under the leadership of the party, the country established basic socialist system and gradually set up the functional system of the party and state institutions with Chinese characteristics, which played a significant role for the party to govern the country and advance socialist building. Since the reform and opening up, in order to meet the needs of the change of the central work of the party and the state, the development of the socialist market economy, and the deepening of the work in all aspects, the party has vigorously stimulated the reform of the party and state institutions, continued to optimize and gradually standardize the institutional functions in all aspects, achieved a significant transition from the institutional function system under the conditions of planned economy to that under the conditions of socialist market economy, and promoted reform, opening up, and socialist modernization.
Since the 18th CPC National Congress, the CPC Central Committee with comrade Xi Jinping as the core has explicitly proposed that the overarching objective of comprehensively deepening the reform is to better and develop the socialist system with Chinese characteristics and boost the modernization of the nation's governance system and governance capability. We have met the requirements for the all-inclusive advancement of the overall layout for "economic, political, cultural, social, and ecological progress" and the coordinated advancement of the Four-Pronged Comprehensive Strategy, strengthened party leadership, insisted on a problem-oriented approach, highlighted critical fields, deepened the reform of the party and state institutions, made significant progress in some important fields and critical links, and provided forceful guarantees for historical achievements in the cause of the party and state and the happening of historical changes.
Currently, confronted with the new requirements brought by new era and new tasks, the setup and functions of the party and state institutions sufficiently satisfy neither the requirements of the all-inclusive advancement of the overall layout for "economic, political, cultural, social, and ecological progress" and the coordinated advancement of the Four-Pronged Comprehensive Strategy nor those of the modernization of the nation's governance system and governance capability. Specifically, in some fields, the setup and functions of the party are unsound and inefficient, and the systems and mechanisms guaranteeing overall party leadership and boosting full and strict governance over the party need ameliorating; there are relatively prominent problems of overlapping party and government agencies, similar duties, and mismatch between power and responsibilities in some fields; the setup and division of duties of some government institutions are not scientific, the problems of absent duties and inefficiency are easily seen, and governmental functions have not been effectively transformed; in some fields, the functions of local and central institutions are the same, and the division of power and responsibilities is not rational; the setup and power conferment of low-level institutions need refining, and the capability of organizing and serving the people needs further augmenting; the level of integrated military and civilian development needs lifting; people's groups and organizations need to strengthen their political consciousness, become more advanced, and better represent the people; such problems in public institutions as incorrect places, ambiguous functions, and inefficiency remain; in some fields, the checks and oversight mechanisms for the exercise of power are unsound, and power abusing, seeking private benefits by power, and other problems persist; and the scientific, standard, and statutory institutional setup is relatively lagging, and the mode of administration of institutional setup needs upgrading. Such problems must be resolved without delay.
The party must accelerate the advancement of the modernization of the nation's governance system and governance capability and endeavor to form a more mature and better shaped socialist system with Chinese characteristics in order to better lead the people in carrying out the great struggle, building the great project, boosting the great cause, and realizing the great dream. That is a major task lying before the party. The new historical phase of China's development, the change of the principal contradiction of Chinese society, the completion of the building of a moderately prosperous society in all respects by 2020, the basic achievement of socialist modernization by 2035, and turning China into a great modern socialist country in every dimension by the 2050s urgently requests that, through scientific setup of institutions, reasonable allocation of functions, overall use of staffing, and improvement of systems and mechanisms, the market is allowed to play a decisive role in allocating resources, the government better plays its role, the development of all the causes of the party and the state is better furthered, the people's ever-growing needs for a better life are better satisfied, and the round development of human, full social progress, and common prosperity of the people shall be better promoted.
In conclusion, deepening the reform of the party and state institutions is an invertible requirement of upholding and developing socialism with Chinese characteristics in the new era, enhancing the building of the capabilities of the party's long-term governance, the self-improvement and development of the socialist system, and achieving the Two Centenary Goals, building a modern socialist country, and accomplishing the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation. The whole party must unify its thought, develop unshakable confidence, seize opportunities, and, over the course of comprehensively deepening the reform, resolve to remove the barriers and defects in the functional system of the party and state institutions, so as to better make use of the advantages of China's socialist system.
II. Guiding ideology, objectives, and principles
In order to deepen the reform of the party and state institutions, the spirit of the 19th CPC National Congress must be comprehensively implemented, the guidance of Marxism-Leninism, Mao Zedong Thought, Deng Xiaoping Theory, important thoughts of "Three Represents," Scientific Development Outlook, and Xi Jinping Thought on Socialism with Chinese Characteristics in a New Era shall be adhered to, the requirements of the development of the socialism with Chinese characteristics in the new era shall be met, the general work keynote of seeking progress while maintaining stability shall be adhered to, correct reform direction, a people-centered approach shall be adhered to, the comprehensive rule of law shall be adhered to, strengthening the overall party leadership shall be regarded as the overarching principle, the modernization of the nation's governance system and governance capability shall be regarded as the guide, the promotion of functional optimization, collaboration, and efficiency of party and state institutions as the focus shall be regarded as the focus, the organizational structure shall be reformed, function allocation shall be optimized, the transformation of functions, modes and work styles shall be deepened, efficiency and effectiveness shall be improved, and powerful institutional guarantees for securing a victory in building a moderately prosperous society in all aspects, embarking on a new journey of comprehensively building a modern socialist country, and accomplishing the Chinese Dream of rejuvenation of the Chinese nation shall be provided.
The objectives of deepening the reform of the party and state institutions are to develop a systematic, sound, scientific, standard, and efficient functional system of party and state institutions, form a party leadership system providing overall leadership and coordinating the efforts of all involved, a government governance system featuring defined duties and law-based government administration, a world top armed forces system with unique Chinese characteristics, and a people's groups work system with extensive connection and serving the people, promote people's congresses, the government, the committees of the Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference ("CPPCC"), supervisory authorities, adjudicative authorities, procuratorial authorities, people's groups, enterprises and public institutions, and social organizations, among others, in coordinating efforts and better joining forces under unified party leadership, and fully improve or raise the nation's governance capability and governance level.
In deepening the reform of the party and state institutions, based on the accomplishment of the first Centenary Goal, in light of prominent contradictions, priorities shall be grasped, weakness shall be fixed, shortness shall be compensated, and risks shall be prevented, so as to provide guarantees for securing a decisive victory in building a moderately prosperous society in all respects in the functions of the party and state institutions; and with an eye to accomplishing the second Centenary Goal, attention shall be paid to resolve the issues on systems and mechanism relevant to the future, the foundations shall be laid, pillars shall be erected, and architecture shall be fixed, so as to create favorable conditions for a more sound socialist system with Chinese characteristics to take shape.
The reform of the party and state institutions shall be deepened according to the following principles.
—Adhering to overall party leadership. Overall party leadership is the fundamental guarantee for deepening the reform of the party and state institutions. The direction of socialism with Chinese characteristics must be adhered to, the consciousness of the need to maintain political integrity, think in big-picture terms, follow the leadership core, and keep in alignment shall be heightened, the confidence in the path, theory, system, and culture of socialism with Chinese characteristics shall be boosted, the authority and centralized and unified leadership of the CPC Central Committee with comrade Xi Jinping as the core shall be firmly defended, the Central Committee shall be voluntarily and closely followed in terms of our thinking, political orientation, and actions, party leadership over all work shall be augmented in all the aspects and process of reform, the institutional arrangements ensuring overall party leadership shall be refined, the way the party exercises leadership and governance shall be bettered, and the party's ability and resolve to chart our course, craft overall plans, design policy, and promote reform shall be enhanced.
—2. Committing to a people-centered approach. Wholeheartedly serving the people is the fundamental purpose of the party, and it is the motivation and destination of all the work of the party to effectively realize, safeguard, and develop the foundational interests of all the people. The principal position of the people must be upheld, the party's commitment to serving the public good and exercising power in the interests of the people shall be adhered to, the mass line of the party shall be carried out, the institutional system through which the people run the country shall be improved, and the systems and mechanisms for seeking benefits for the people, acting for the people, relieving the anxiety of the people, hearing the people's voice, and accepting the people's oversight shall be refined, so as to provide more forceful guarantees for the people to manage state affairs, economic and cultural causes, and social affairs.
—Adhering to optimization, collaboration and efficiency. Optimization means soundness and a match between power and responsibility, collaboration means centralization alongside delegation and priorities, and efficiency means effective fulfillment of duties and smooth process. A problem-centered approach must be adhered to, the needs of development, low-level expectations, and the public wish shall come into focus, the setup and functional allocation of the party and state institutions shall be optimized, it shall be adhered to that a classification of matters are administered by one authority in principle and that one thing shall be placed under the administration of one authority in principle, the cooperation and interaction among relevant institutions shall be intensified, chaotic polices, ambiguous responsibilities, and buck passing shall be avoided, and determination shall be made to remove the defects in the systems and mechanism restricting reform and development, so as to make the setup of party and state institutions more scientific, functions more optimized, power and responsibilities more synergistic, supervision and regulation more forceful, and operation more efficient.
—Adhering to comprehensive law-based governance. Comprehensive law-based governance is the basic means for the party to lead the people in governing the country. The equal emphasis on and mutual promotion of reform and the rule of law must be adhered to, the coordinated advancement of law-based governance, law-based exercise of state power, law-based government administration shall be adhered to, the integrated development of rule of law for the country, the government, and society shall be adhered to, the functions of the party and state institutions shall be improved in accordance with the laws and regulations, duties shall be fulfilled according to the law, institutions and staffing shall be administered as legally required, and while the rule of law plays its role in regulating and guaranteeing reform to boost the reform under the rule of law and ensure that material reform has a legal basis, the work on the rule of law shall be strengthened through the reform to ensure that the rule of law is improved and heightened in the reform.
III. Refining the regimes for adhering to overall party leadership.
The Party exercises overall leadership over all areas of endeavor in every part of the country. It is the primary task for deepening the reform of the party and state institutions to strengthen the party leadership over the work in all aspects. The organizational structure of the party shall be optimized to ensure pervasive party leadership and firmer and more forceful party leadership.
1. Establishing and improving the systems and mechanisms for party leadership over significant work. In order to strengthen overall party leadership, the centralized and unified party leadership over the significant work affecting the big picture of the causes of the party and the state shall be first augmented. The decision-making coordination institutions of the CPC Central Committee shall conduct work under the leadership of the Politburo of the CPC Central Committee and its Standing Committee. The decision-making coordination institutions of the CPC Central Committee shall be optimized to take charge of the top design, general layout, overall coordination, and overall advancement of significant work. Party leadership over deepening reform, law-based governance, economy, agriculture and rural affairs, discipline inspection and supervision, organization, publicity, thought, culture, national security, political and legal affairs, united front work, ethnic groups and religion, education, science and technology, cyberspace administration, diplomacy, audit, and other work shall be strengthened and optimized. Other coordination institutions in other aspects shall be linked to the setup and adjustment of the decision-making coordination institutions of the CPC Central Committee to ensure the authority and work efficiency of the CPC Central Committee. The party committees (party groups) in all regions and of all authorities shall adhere to rule-based governance over the party, corresponding systems and mechanisms shall be improved, and the capabilities of coordination shall be enhanced, so as to effectively implement the decisions and arrangements of the CPC Central Committee.
2. Augmenting the exercise of leadership by party organizations over other organizations at the same level. The relations between party organizations and other organizations shall be straightened out for the party to better play its role in providing overall leadership and coordinating the efforts of all involved. The party committees (party groups) established in state organs, public institutions, people's groups and organizations, social organizations, enterprises, and other organizations shall accept the unified leadership of the party committees approving their establishment, regularly report their work, and ensure the implementation of the principles, policies, decisions, and arrangements of the party in the organizations at the same level. The establishment and improvement of party organizations and institutions in new types of economic organizations and social organizations shall be accelerated to ensure that party organizations are in place anywhere the work of the party extends.
3. Better using the role of the functional departments of the party. The allocation of the duties of the organization, publicity, united front work, political and legal affairs, authorities' party building, education and training, and other departments of the party shall be optimized, and the classification of coordination functions shall be strengthened to arrange the work in their respective systems and fields in an overall manner. The setup of various general offices of party committees shall be optimized, and the matters which functional departments may undertake shall be so undertaken. The setup of the dispatched offices of the party shall be optimized and standardized, and the leadership over the work in relevant fields, industries, and systems shall be strengthened. The public institutions directly under the party committees at all levels shall be established according to the principles of simplification and efficiency. The party committees (party groups) at all levels shall enhance their capabilities of ensuring implementation and augment their functions of coordination and processing under supervision.
4. Establishing party and state institutions in an overall manner. According to the requirement of adhering to the centralized and unified leadership of the CPC Central Committee, party and state institutions shall be scientifically established, positioning shall be correct, division of labor shall be reasonable, and joint forces shall be enhanced, so as to prevent similar institutions, overlapping functions, and repeat work. The relevant institutions of the party and other authorities with similar functions and closely related thereto may be established in an overall manner and merge together or work together as one office while keeping separate identities so as to consolidate and optimize forces and resources and create comprehensive benefits.
5. Advancing the reform of the party disciplinary inspection system and the national supervision system. The reform of the party disciplinary inspection system shall be deepened, the dual leadership system of disciplinary inspection shall be promoted in becoming specific, procedural, and institutional, and the leadership by superior disciplinary inspection committees over subordinate ones shall be enhanced. The party and state oversight systems shall be improved, the checks and supervision mechanisms of the exercise of power shall be bettered, and supervisory commissions at the national, provincial, city, and county levels shall be established to share offices and work together with the party's disciplinary inspection commissions, so as to achieve the organic unity of party's internal supervision and supervision of state organs and of the party disciplinary inspection and national supervision and achieve the supervisory coverage of everyone in the public sector who exercises public power. Visitation shall be improved, and the joint force with the party's internal supervision playing the major role and connecting other supervision shall be augmented.
IV. Optimizing the setup and functional allocation of government institutions.
Transforming government functions is an important task to deepen the reform of the party and state institutions. Defects in systems and mechanisms restricting the market from playing a decisive role in allocating resources and the government from playing a more effective role shall be adamantly removed; centering on boosting quality development and building a modern economic system, the government functions of economic regulation, market regulation, public administration, public services, and ecological and environmental protection shall be heightened and improved, the functions of government institutions shall be adjusted and optimized, government efficiency shall be fully raised, and a service-oriented government to the satisfaction of the people shall be built.
1. Rationally allocating the functions of macro-administration authorities. The duties and power of macro-administration authorities shall be scientifically defined, and their functions to develop national development strategies and unify planning systems shall be heightened for them to better play a role in taking the lead in national strategies and plans. The macro-regulation system shall be improved, regulatory means shall be innovated on, and coordination and collaboration mechanisms for development and planning, public finance, financial, and other policies and work shall be built. The capability of economic monitoring, predictions, and early warnings shall be augmented, and big data, cloud computing, and other technological means shall be comprehensively used to enhance the forward-looking nature, pertinence, and synergy of macro-regulation. The anti-monopoly and anti-unfair competition functions of the government shall be strengthened and optimized, administrative monopoly shall be removed, market monopoly shall be prevented, and all provisions and practices obstructing unified market and fair competition shall be reviewed and repealed. The rule-of-law functions of the government shall be strengthened and optimized, and the building of the rule of law for the government shall be advanced. The revenue functions of the government shall be strengthened and optimized, the relationship between the unified tax system and tiered public finance shall be further straightened out, and the important foundation for national governance shall be consolidated. The function of financial administration shall be strengthened and optimized, the coordination among monetary policies, macro-prudence policies, and financial regulation shall be enhanced, financial regulatory teams shall be optimized, the financial regulatory system shall be upgraded, and the bottom line of non-occurrence of systematic financial risks shall be held, so as to maintain national financial security. The functions of scientific and technological administration and services of the government shall be strengthened, optimized, and transformed the scientific and technological innovation rules and organizational system shall be bettered, the protection of intellectual property rights shall be tightened, and the innovation-driven development strategy shall be implemented. The function of the work on "agriculture, rural areas and farmers" of the government shall be strengthened and optimized so as to solidly implement the rural revitalization strategy. A unified and efficient audit supervision system shall be built to achieve full coverage. The functions of the services for and administration of foreign-related economy and entry/exit personnel of the government shall be strengthened and optimized to promote the implementation of the reciprocal opening strategy.
2. Profoundly advancing red tape cut and power delegation. Micro-administration items and specific approval items shall be reduced, the direct allocation of market resources by the government shall be minimized, and the direct intervention in market activities by the government shall be minimized, so as to improve the efficiency and equity of resource allocation and animate various market participants. Various administrative licensing, qualifications, intermediary services, and other administration items shall be reviewed and regulated, the market-oriented reform of factor prices shall be accelerated, the services access restrictions shall be eased, government services shall be optimized, business process shall be improved, administrative discretions shall be regulated, and the institutional transaction cost shall be significantly lowered, so as to encourage more members of society to make innovations and start businesses. The market access negative list regime shall be comprehensively carried out to guarantee equal opportunities, equal rights, and equal rules for various market participants and create a good business environment.
3. Improving market regulation and law enforcement systems. The market regulation system shall be reformed and straightened out, regulatory functions shall be consolidated, and regulatory collaboration shall be intensified, so at to build up joint forces of market regulation. The reform of the administrative law enforcement system shall be deepened, the function of administrative punishment and law enforcement resources shall be allocated in an overall manner, the power of administrative punishment shall be relatively centralized, law enforcement teams shall be consolidated and streamlined, so as to resolve the problem of multi-authority or multi-level repeat law enforcement. If there is established more than one law enforcement team in one authority, they shall be integrated into one team in principle. The consolidation of law enforcement teams in the same fields or similar fields shall be boosted, and comprehensive setup shall be applied. The hierarchy of law enforcement shall be reduced, and law enforcement teams shall be assigned in favor of lower levels. Law enforcement procedures shall be improved, the responsibilities for law enforcement shall be strict, and the supervision of law enforcement shall be strengthened, so as to achieve strict, well-regulated, fair, and non-abusive law enforcement.
4. Reforming natural resources, ecological, and environmental administration systems. The most rigorous ecological and environmental protection regimes shall be implemented, and an environmental governance system the government takes the lead, with enterprises as main players, and participated in by social organizations and the public shall be established, so as to provide institutional guarantee for building an ecological civilization. Institutions administering state-owned natural resource assets and overseeing the nature and ecology shall be set up, and the ecological and environmental regime shall be improved, so as to exercise in a unified manner the duties as the owner of public-owned natural resource assets, the duties to control the use of state-owned land space and ecological protection, and the duties to oversee various pollutant discharge in rural and urban areas and of administrative law enforcement. The role of land space plans in directing and restricting various purpose-specific plans shall be augmented, "integrating regulations into one" shall be advanced, and the organic consolidation of land use plans and urban and rural plans, among others, shall be achieved.
5. Improving the public service administration system. The public service system shall be refined, the equalization, inclusiveness, and convenience of basic public services shall be furthered, and the unity between urban and rural basic public service regimes shall be advanced. The functional departments of the government shall shift its central work from purely paying attention to the development of public unities in their respective industries or systems to better creating fair opportunities and an impartial environment, so as to promote the reaches of public resources in favor of the low level, rural areas, remote regions, and people having trouble in surviving and boost the equalization of social benefit opportunities and rights. The functions of the government in social security, education and culture, legal services, medical care and health, medical security, and other aspects shall be strengthened and optimized to better guarantee and improve livelihood. The suppliers of education, culture, law, medical care, sports, health, elderly care, and other public services shall be promoted in being diversified, so shall the supply modes. The market-oriented reform of non-basic public services shall be advanced, competition mechanisms shall be introduced, and service procurement shall be expanded. The building of the nation's emergency response capabilities shall be bolstered, optimized, and arranged in an overall manner, and an authoritative and efficient national emergency response capability system featuring unified leadership and a match between power and responsibilities shall be established, to improve the capabilities in guaranteeing work safety, maintaining public security, preventing and reducing disasters, disaster relief, and other aspects and ensure the property and personal safety of the people and social stability.
6. Enhancing interim and ex-post regulation. The mode of government administration stressing approval but neglecting regulation shall be changed, and more government resources shall be relocated from ex-ante approval to strengthen interim and ex-post regulation. Regulatory modes shall be innovated on, "inspection of randomly selected entities by randomly selected inspectors and the public disclosure of inspection results" and "Internet plus regulation" shall be comprehensively furthered, the sharing of the regulatory information of the government shall be advanced at a faster pace, transparency shall be practically improved, the regulation of the fields affecting the property and personal safety of the people shall be reinforced, and the development of new technology, industries, business types, and modes shall be voluntarily served, so as to improve the efficiency of regulation and law enforcement. The building of a credit system shall be fortified, credit regulation shall be improved, the disclosure of information shall be enhanced, the building of a credit information platform of market participants shall be accelerated, and the role of industry and social supervision shall be used.
7. Raising government efficiency. The authorities of the government at all levels and their bodies shall be established efficiently, power shall be allocated scientifically, the number of institutions shall be reduced, interim levels shall be simplified, flat management shall be promoted, and an efficient organizational system from top to bottom shall take shape. Responsibilities shall be well fined, performance management and government accountability shall be strict, routine work evaluation shall be strengthened, and regimes commending the excellent and punishing the lagging shall be established and improved. "Information isolated islands" shall be removed, the types, standards, scope, and process of information shared by all authorities shall be unified and specified, and the advancement of harmonization and sharing of the government affairs information of the authorities shall be accelerated. Work modes shall be bettered, and service level shall be raised. Style building shall be strengthened, and the conformity with rules for rules' sake, bureaucracy, hedonism, and extravagance shall be firmly eliminated.
V. Adopting a holistic approach to reforming party, government, military, and people's institutions
Adopting a holistic approach to reforming party, government, military, and people's institutions is an inevitable requirement for reinforcing the centralized and unified leadership of the party and achieving the optimization, coordination and efficiency of institutional functions. Relevant institutions shall be established in an overall manner, similar functions shall be allocated holistically, the duties of party departments, state organs, people's groups and organizations, and public institutions shall be straightened out and optimized, and military-civilian reform shall be boosted, so as to enhance party leadership, improve the executive capabilities of the government, animate people's groups and organizations and social organizations, augment the combat capability of people's troops, and make various institutions organically connected and mutually coordinated.
1. Improving the layout of party and government institutions. The division of duties between the party and the government shall be correctly understood and implemented, and the relationship between the duties of party and government institutions shall be straightened out, so as to build up a unified and efficient leadership system, ensure that the party exercises centralized and unified leadership, and guarantee the collaboration, interaction, and efficient operation of other institutions. The items of the reform of party and government institutions shall be systematically planned and determined, resources shall be allocated in an overall manner, multi-departmental administration shall be reduced, and dispersive and overlapped duties shall be cut, so as to make party and government institutions reasonably divide their functions, specify their duties, and operate in a coordinated manner.
2. Deepening the reform of people's congresses, CPPCC committees, and judicial institutions. The people's congress regime is a fundamental political institutional arrangement to adhere to the organic unity of party leadership, the people running the country, and law-based governance. The people's congresses and their standing committees shall play the leading role in lawmaking, the function of people's congresses to oversee budgets, final accounting, and state-owned asset management, among others, shall be strengthened, the organizational and working systems of people's congresses shall be improved, and the setup of special committees of people's congresses shall be refined so as to allow them to better play their functional role. The building of the capabilities of duty fulfillment of the committees of the CPPCC shall be advanced, the democratic supervision by the committees of the CPPCC shall be fortified, and the setup of special committees shall be optimized, so as to allow them to better play their role as special advisory bodies. The reform of the judicial system shall be deepened, the allocation of judicial power shall be optimized, the judicial responsibilities shall be comprehensively implemented, the staff quota systems for judges and procurators shall be refined, the reform of the litigation system oriented to trial shall be boosted, the reform of the bodies of courts and procuratorates shall be advanced, and judicial credibility shall be improved, so as to better maintain social fairness and justice and endeavor to allow the people to feel fairness and justice in each judicial case.
3. Deepening the reform of people's groups and organizations. The regime for party committees to lead the work of people's groups in a unified manner shall be improved, the people's groups and organizations shall be promoted in strengthening their political consciousness, becoming more advanced, and better representing the people, institutional setup shall be optimized, management modes shall be bettered, operating mechanisms shall be innovated on, an approach oriented to the low level shall be adhered to, and personnel and service resources shall be assigned in favor of the low level, so as to better meet the needs at the low level and of the people. The organic connection between the functions of party and government institutions and those of people's groups and organizations shall be furthered, people's groups and organizations shall be supported and encouraged to undertake public functions suitable for them, and the functions of solidarity education, maintenance of rights and interests, and serving the people of people's groups and organizations shall be enhanced, so as to allow people's groups and organizations to better play its role as a bridge and bond in linking the party and government to the people.
4. Advancing the reform of social organizations. According to the requirements of joint establishment, joint governance, and sharing, the law-based social governance system under which party committees exercise leadership, government assumes responsibility, non-governmental actors provide assistance, and the public get involved shall be improved. The separation of the government from social organizations shall be accelerated, social organization shall be animated, and the tendency to render social organizations similar to government agencies shall be curbed. The items which it is suitable for social organizations to provide public services for and solve shall be provided and managed by social organizations according to the law. The regulation of various social organizations shall be strengthened according to the law, the regulation and self-regulation of social organizations shall be promoted, and the positive interaction among governance, social adjustment, and residents' autonomy shall be achieved.
5. Accelerating the advancement of the reform of public institutions. The public institutions under the party, the government, and people's groups are an important force to provide public services. The reform of public institutions undertaking government functions shall be comprehensively advanced, the relationship between the government and public institutions shall be straightened out, the separation of the government from public institutions shall be achieved, and public institutions undertaking government functions shall cease to exist. The reform of public institutions engaging in business activities shall be intensified to boost the separation of the government from public institutions. The public-welfare public institutions shall be reformed according to circumstances, and for public institutions providing public-welfare services oriented to the public, the relationship with the authorities in charge of them shall be straightened out, the separation of the management from owners shall be gradually advanced, and their public-welfare nature shall be enhanced to remove for-profit mechanisms; and for public institutions mainly providing guarantees for authorities, the functions and personnel structure shall be optimized and managed together with the authorities. The party building in public institutions shall be comprehensively strengthened, and the party leadership systems and working mechanisms of public institutions shall be refined.
6. Deepening military-civilian reform. According to the principle of distinction among the military, the police, and civilians, the military-civilian reform of armed police, militia and reserves shall be deepened, and the reform of the public security forces in active service shall be advanced. The kindergartens, enterprises, and farms, among others, established by the military which can be handed over to local governments shall be so handed over. The organizational and administrative system, work operating system, and policy and regime system for holistic administration of economic and social development and national defense building under party leadership shall be improved, the reform of the science, technologies and industries for national defense system shall be deepened, the military-civilian coordination mechanism shall be improved, the deep integrated military and civilian development shall be boosted, and an integrated national strategic system and capability shall be built. A veteran's administration and guarantee institution shall be established to coordinating the efforts of all involved and better serve veterans.
6. Reasonably establishing local institutions
The setup and functional allocation of local institutions shall be optimized in an overall manner, and an efficiently operating, vigorous, and authoritative working system from the Central Government to local governments shall be established. The power of the Central Government and local governments shall be reasonably established, the relationship between the duties of the Central Government and those of local governments shall be straightened out, the Central Government and local governments shall be better motivated, the Central Government shall tighten the administration of macro matters, local governments shall effective administer local matters on the premise of ensuring the authority of the CPC Central Committee, the institutions at all levels and their functions shall be reasonably established and allocated.
1. Ensuring centralized and unified leadership. Local institutions shall be established to ensure the effective implementation of the principles and policies of the CPC Central Committee and the laws and regulations issued by the state. The institutional functions at county, municipal and provincial levels affecting the centralized and unified leadership of the CPC Central Committee, the unity of the national legal system, the unity of policies and decrees, and market unity shall be basically corresponding to their explicit counterparts of the Central Government so as to ensure unity and effective implementation.
2. Conferring more autonomy on institutions at and below the provincial level. The governance capabilities of the local governments shall be enhanced, and economic and social administration items directly oriented to the low level, large in quantity and extensive in range, and which local governments implement more convenient and effective shall be delegated to local governments. Subject to explicit provisions by the Central Government, local governments shall be allowed to establish institutions and allocate functions suitable for local conditions, institutions so established shall be allowed to be integrated into institutions with superior counterparts, and the number, names, and ranks, among others, of institutions shall be determined to the extent of quota.
3. Establishing a simple and efficient basic-level administrative system. The establishment of low-level governments shall be strengthened, and the foundation of the nation's governance system and governance capabilities shall be consolidated. The establishment of government institutions and allocation of human resources must be oriented to the people and in line with the characteristics of low-level matters, without the establishment modes of their superior authorities simply adopted. According to the actual needs of the work, the teams at low level in approval, services, law enforcement, and other aspects shall be consolidated, institutional staffing resources shall be arranged in an overall manner, relevant functions shall be consolidated to establish comprehensive institutions, and flat and grid management shall be adopted. The central work of governance shall be promoted in moving downwards, resources, services, and administration shall be delegated to the low level as much as possible, so as to ensure that there are persons, power and resources at low level and that low-level matters are resolved at low level, low-level power is delegated to low level, and there are persons to resolve low-level matters. Superior authorities shall optimize the modes of leadership over low-level institutions, allowing both "one to several:" one low-level institution undertakes the tasks from several superior institutions; and "several to one:" different low-level institutions report to the same superior institution. Policy standards and work process shall be specified, urging inspection shall be tightened, the supervisory system shall be upgraded, and low-level administration shall be regulated, so as to ensure non-abusing of power. The reform of public utilities authorities directly serving livelihood shall be advanced, service modes shall be bettered, and the convenience for the people shall be maximized.
4. Streamlining the vertical administration system and the local hierarchal administration system. The relationship between power and responsibilities shall be straightened out and specified, for items of which the power belongs to the Central Government and for which the Central Government is responsible, the Central Government shall establish vertical institutions to apply well-regulated administration, and the mechanism for the cooperation and collaboration between vertical administration institutions and the local governments shall be improved. Items under the collaborative administration of the Central Government and local governments which local governments are required to be responsible shall be placed under hierarchal administration, with the Central Government strengthening direction, coordination, and supervision.
VII. Advancing law-based institutional staffing
Law-based institutional staffing is an important guarantee to deepen the reform of party and state institutions. Various organizational institutions shall be managed according to the law, and law-based institutions, functions, power, procedure, and responsibilities shall be advanced at a faster pace.
1. Improving the regulations and rules regarding party and state institutions. The building of the regulation system within the party shall be strengthened, and the regulation on the institutional staffing work of the Communist Party of China shall be developed. An institutional staffing law shall be researched and enacted. The solemnity and authority of the provisions on "main duties, bodies and staffing" shall be augmented, and the provisions on the setup of party and state institutions, functional allocation, and staffing shall be improved. The government agencies' power and responsibility list regime shall be comprehensively promoted to achieve an organic connection between the power and responsibility lists and the provisions on "main duties, bodies and staffing," regulating and restricting duty fulfillment, and place the exercise of power in the sun.
2. Enhancing the rigid restrictions of administration on institutional staffing. The centralized and unified party leadership over institutional staffing shall be heightened, various staffing resources shall be used in an overall manner, and the overall allocation of staffing between departments and between regions shall be intensified, so as to meet the need of the development of party and state causes. Based on the need of economic and social development and boosting the modernization of the nation's governance system, a dynamic adjustment mechanism of staffing administration shall be established. The assessment of the administration of institutional staffing shall be strengthened, and the allocation of staffing resources shall be optimized. An information platform shared by institutional staffing administration and organizational personnel and fiscal budget administration shall be established at a faster pace, the real-name administration of institutional staffing shall be comprehensively promoted, and the basic role of institutional staffing in the whole process of administration shall be maximized. According to the requirements of public disclosure of matters handled, the information relating to institutional staffing shall be disclosed in a timely and publicly manner, and the supervision by all parties shall be accepted. The administrative power and procedure in relation to institutional staffing shall be strict, and approval beyond the authority shall be prohibited. The provisions on quota on institutions, number of leaders' offices, types of staffing, and total quantity, among others, shall be strictly implemented, institutions shall not be established in excess of quota, leaders shall not be appointed in excess of the leaders' offices, and the types of staffing shall not be increased without permission or in excess of total quantity. Employees hired not on staffing shall be strictly controlled, and applicable posts, duties, power, and all administrative regimes shall be standardized more strictly.
3. Better investigating and punishing violations of disciplines and laws in relation to institutional staffing. Laws, regulations and party regulations on the administration of institutional staffing shall be strictly implemented, various violations of disciplines and laws shall be firmly investigated and punished, and liability shall lie seriously. It shall be firmly corrected that superior authorities intervene in the setup of subordinate institutions, functional allocation, and staffing allocation by dispensation of project appropriations, evaluation and supervisory inspection, contest and commendation, or any other means. Departmental rules and regulatory documents shall be comprehensively reviewed, and each intervening provision shall be repealed. The mechanism of cooperation and interaction with disciplinary inspection and supervisory authorities and organizational, personnel, audit and other authorities in institutional staffing shall be improved to join supervisory inspection forces.
VIII. Heightening the party leadership over deepening the reform of party and state institutions.
It is a systematic project to deepen the reform of party and state institutions. The party committees and governments at all levels shall bring their thoughts and actions in line with the decisions and arrangements of the CPC Central Committee with regard to deepening the reform of party and state institutions, heighten "the awareness of maintaining political integrity, thinking in terms of the big picture, following the leadership core, and keeping in alignment with CPC Central Committee," have full confidence in the path, theory, system, and culture of socialism with Chinese characteristics, adamantly defend the authority and centralized and unified leadership of the CPC Central Committee with comrade Xi Jinping as the core, effectively understand the relation among reform, development and stability, and thoroughly ensure the implementation of the decisions and arrangements of the CPC Central Committee.
The CPC Central Committee shall exercise leadership over the work of deepening the reform of party and state institutions in a unified manner and play a role in conducting overall coordination, holistic advancement, and urging of implementation. The reform shall be rendered more systematic, holistic, and collaborative, and cooperation among the party, the government, the military, and people's groups in the institutional reform shall be strengthened, so as to cause all the reform to promote and complement each other and produce overall effect. Where the implementation of the institutional reform proposal requires the enactment or amendment of any laws or regulations, relevant proceedings shall be initiated in a timely manner.
All regions and all authorities shall adamantly implement the tasks for deepening the reform of party and state institutions determined by the CPC Central Committee, and party committees and the government shall fulfill primary responsibilities. Authorities affected by the adjustment of institutional functions shall obey the big picture, ensure that the institutional functions, among others, are effectively adjusted as required in a timely manner, and abstain from making inappropriate adaptations or delaying the reform. The handover of affiliates and the work on the provisions on "main duties, bodies and staffing" shall be completed without delay so as to assume roles and effectively fulfill duties as soon as possible. Deepening the reform of party and state institutions shall be combined with simplification of administrative procedures, delegation of powers, combination of decentralization and control, and optimization of services, transformation of functions shall be accelerated, and responsibility relationship shall be straightened out.
The reform of central and local institutional reform shall be linked organically and advanced in an orderly manner in work arrangements and organization of implementation. Under the unified arrangements of the CPC Central Committee, central and provincial institutional reform shall be launched, and the reform of institutions below the provincial level shall be launched upon the basic completion of provincial institutional reform. Local governments and low-level agencies shall be encouraged to vigorously make exploration and summarize experience in a timely manner. The advancement of the reform in a quick and steady manner shall be adhered to, and more endeavors shall be made to make breakthroughs when conditions are mature, otherwise a pilot program shall be first conducted for incremental advancement.
All regions and all authorities shall specify disciplines, institutional reform proposals may be implemented only with the approval of the CPC Central Committee, and neither action without permission nor rushing into mass action may be allowed. Relevant provisions shall be strictly implemented, unexpected promotions shall be prohibited, financial disciplines shall be rendered serious, and the loss of state-owned assets shall be firmly prevented.
The party committees and governments at all levels shall enhance assumption of responsibilities, conduct meticulous organization, ensure implementation, and fulfill the responsibilities as leaders for deepening the reform of party and state institutions. New situations and problems over the course of the reform of party and state institutions shall be researched and solved without delay, and ideological and political work shall be strengthened, so as to direct public opinions correctly, create good social environment, and ensure steady and orderly conduct of all the work.
An assessment and supervisory inspection mechanism shall be established and improved, and the supervisory direction and inspection of the implementation of deepening the reform of party and state institutions shall be tightened. Relevant mechanisms shall be improved, and the role in overall arrangements, coordination, urgency, and promotion shall be effectively played. Authorities newly adjusted or established shall establish and improve party organizations in a timely manner and strengthen the organization and leadership of the implementation of institutional reform.
The whole party, the whole nation, and the people of all ethnic groups shall unite around the CPC Central Committee with comrade Xi Jinping as the core, unify thoughts and action, reform with keen determination, ensure the completion of all the tasks for deepening the reform of party and state institutions, continue to establish a complete, scientific and standard, and efficiently operating functional system of party and state institutions, and strive to secure a decisive victory in building a moderately prosperous society in all respects, accelerate the advancement of socialist modernization, and accomplish the Chinese Dream of the great rejuvenation of the Chinese nation.