Notice of Frugal Spending by the Party and Government Organs
· Document Number：No. 11  of the General Office of the CCCPC
· Area of Law： Government Affairs
· Level of Authority： Group Provisions
· Date issued：02-20-2009
· Effective Date：02-20-2009
· Status： Effective
· Issuing Authority： General Office of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (General Office, CCCPC) General Office of the State Council
Notice of the General Office of the CCCPC and General Office of the State Council on Several Issues Concerning the Frugal Spending by the Party and Government Organs
(No. 11  of the General Office of the CCCPC February 20, 2009)
The Party committees and people's governments of all provinces, autonomous regions and municipalities directly under the Central Government, all departments of the Central Committee of the CPC, all ministries and commissions under the State Council, all headquarters of the Chinese People's Liberation Army, all large entities, and all people's organizations,
Working hard is a good tradition and work style of our Party. The CCCPC and the State Council always attach great importance to it and strictly require the Party and government organs at all levels to take the lead in practicing frugal spending and oppose extravagance and waste. At the present time, due to the severe challenge of the international and domestic situation, especially the impact of the international financial crisis, the operation of Chinese economy is facing increasing difficulties, the contradiction between the fiscal revenue and expenditure becomes prominent and it is onerous to solve the problems relating to the people's livelihood and to improve the people's living. In order to keep the steady and rapid development of the economy and maintain the overall situation of reform, development and stability, the Party and government organs at all levels must practice frugal spending and stoutly prohibit extravagance and waste. You are hereby notified of the following issues:
1. To strictly prohibit overseas travel with public money in any name. The Party and government organs at all levels shall, in strict accordance with the relevant provisions of the CCCPC, not organize or participate in any overseas travel activity with public money. The operating fund disbursements of each region or each department for the overseas travel for official business in 2009 shall be cut down by 20% on the basis of the average of the recent 3 years, and the number of overseas travel teams (groups) and the number of team (group) members for official business shall be reduced correspondingly.
2. To tighten the management of provision and use of vehicles for official business. The disbursements of the Party and government organs at all levels for the purchase and running of vehicles in 2009 shall be cut down by 20% on the basis of the average of the recent 3 years. They are required to strictly comply with the administrative provisions on the arrangement of vehicles for official business and the criterions on the provision and use of vehicles for official business.
3. To strictly control the disbursements for official-business reception. The disbursements of the Party and government organs at all levels for official-business reception shall be cut down by 10% on the basis of the amount thereof in 2008. Domestic receptions for official business shall be strictly subject to the criterions on working meals.
4. To strictly prohibit officials from feasting each other with public money during the course of attending meeting, studying or training, and feasting and presenting gifts with public money in the name of countryman party, alumni party, soldier party and other friendship activities. The violators shall be dealt with seriously and the expenses shall be paid by the participants.
5. To strictly control various anniversaries, festivals, forums and other activities and stringently control the scale of such activities to be held upon approval and the operating fund disbursements therefor. No official shall, without authorization, accept the invitation to attend such activities.
6. To strictly control the construction of office buildings and other top grade buildings of the Party and government organs. From the date of issuance of this Notice to the end of 2010, none of the Party and government organs at all levels shall build any new office building, training center, hotel, rest houses and other top grade buildings. Where the construction of any of such buildings has been started upon approval, it shall be in strict compliance with the prescribed standards. It is stringently forbidden to build or decorate houses for officials beyond the criterions.
7. To strictly control the ordinary disbursements, carefully comply with the requirement of the CCCPC for the zero growth of relevant expenses, tighten the management of budgetary disbursements and lower the administrative operating costs. The electricity, fuel and water saving indicators of Party and government organs at all levels in 2009 shall be raised by 5% on the basis of those in 2008. The disbursements for the expenses for meetings, documents, correspondent and other aspects shall be reduced significantly.
8. To strictly prohibit the Party and government organs from shifting or apportioning expenses to or reimburse expenses from enterprises and public institutions in any name. We shall thoroughly control the “private coffers” and plug the loopholes by laying an emphasis on the source of fund.
All regions and all departments shall, under the requirements of this Notice and by taking into consideration the actualities, improve the rules and regulations and take effective measures to realize frugal spending. The disciplinary inspection and supervision organs and the development and reform, foreign affairs, public finance, audit, organ affairs administration and other departments at all levels shall earnestly perform their functions and intensify the supervision and inspection. In the case of any violation of the relevant provisions, the major officials, persons-in-charge and directly liable persons shall be subject to their liabilities under the Party disciplines, rules for government staff, and pertinent laws and regulations. By the end of 2009, all regions and all departments shall report to the Central Commission for Discipline Inspection of the CPC and the Ministry of Supervision the information about their implementation of this Notice especially the information about the reduction of operating fund disbursements, and investigation and handling of cases involving violations of disciplines and regulations.